This week has seen a number of changes going into WordPress 2.4, these have included:
- More work on the to switch to
$wpdb->prepare()(#4553). Note this is on going work and some of the changes may cause temporary issues like the ones reported in #5145.
- Changes to the way in which the WordPress generator tags are output (#4803 and #5085).
- Improvements to the database access abstraction so that all calls to mysql functions are made via the
$wpdbclass (#5127 and #5128).
- The introduction of a new sanitisation function for urls on there way into the database (#4411).
- Improvements to the queries used for Tag intersection (#5137)
The last two of these changes will also be included in the upcoming 2.3.1 release.
You can read more about the types of Category and Tag intersections supported by WordPress v2.3 in Ryan’s excellent post: “Taxonomy Intersections and Unions”
More information about the changes to the WordPress generator output and the new filters that are available to allow themes and plugins to affect the output can be read in this article: “Improving the WordPress Generator”
For even more information on some of the other little changes that went in this week you can read the whole weekly trac timeline.